Thursday, October 7, 2010

Update - October 7, 2010

Good morning, one and all ! Good news to report !

I had my monthly visit yesterday with my oncologist in Windsor and she gave me good news. There is no evidence of progression of the cancer, there is nothing going on in my liver (there was some question of that in September and I was braced yesterday to be told it had spread there) and she is going to make arrangements for me to have a permanent drain inserted to get the fluid off my lung to help my breathing. She said I might even be able to get off the oxygen, which would be amazing. (Nurses would come to the house to take the fluid off on some schedule – it wouldn’t be leaking all the time or anything like that.) So David and I were a happy pair when we left the building ! To top if off, we were only there 1.5 hours ! We are very thankful for my continued good health, for the medicines that are keeping it that way and for God’s mercy, which underlies the whole thing.

Last week, David had a bone marrow aspiration and tomorrow he will have a CT scan of his head, looking for any blockages that might be causing the dizzy spells and black-outs. There has already been mention made of anemia – news to us. He goes back to the doctor Oct. 13 and we are hoping for answers to the mystery.

We set off on a ‘weekend away’ last Thursday, Sept. 30. Our Texas son, Steve was in Waterloo on business, so we all had supper together that night – Amy, Mike and Lian were all there as well. It was great to see them – had breakfast in St. Jacob’s the next morning, too. Then David and I left to drive to Wiarton on the Bruce Peninsula, where he had a school board regional meeting. It felt like we were driving right to the North Pole, but that just shows you that we are soft southerners. We had a good time – found a nice little café on the main street there which served excellent food (Green Door Café). Then Sunday, we drove 351 km. down Highway 21, along the eastern shore of Lake Huron. It was a lovely drive – the lake is so blue and the leaves are all turning. It was sort of a test case, to see if I could travel that far at a time, and it worked out very well.

We have so much to be thankful for this weekend ! May God bring to your minds and hearts all the blessings that you have experienced as well. Thank you again for your prayers.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Helen: so glad to hear your news. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Our prayers continue for you and the family. Gail