Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas 2008

Well, we had a great time, in spite of several airline mix-ups. First to arrive was my daughter from Kitchener, who came Saturday, Dec. 19 ahead of another snowstorm and two days before she had planned to come. Next, son from Seattle and lovely girlfriend, who had an unplanned overnight in Las Vegas but made it for a lasagna supper Tuesday, Dec. 23. On Dec. 24, we had a lovely evening with some of our oldest and dearest friends after the Candlelight Service at church. The phone rang while we were all munching and talking with the best news - the Texas crew were going to be able to make it after all ! Plans had changed at their end and they had tickets to fly up Christmas Day afternoon ! We were all pretty excited ! Their original plan was to overnight in Detroit and arrive early Boxing Day; actual outcome was an overnight in Chicago and arrival in time for Christmas dinner late on Boxing Day. Christmas Day evening saw the arrival of our youngest son from Kitchener and his lovely girlfriend. My sister also drove down from Ottawa on Boxing Day. So, by Boxing Day evening, we were all under the same roof, enjoying Christmas dinner at a very extended table! I was able to cook that dinner and it gave me huge satisfaction to be able to do so.

The next day, the men took over the kitchen and David cooked a wonderful French meal - fois gras, cassoulet, roast duck and crème brulée ! The ladies retreated to the hotel where most of the people were staying and had a relaxed lunch and some shopping. I went for a brief walk with my Texas grandson and helped him make and throw some snowballs - a first for him! Quite a day !

But then we got to the sad part, where people had to leave. Our Seattle son and girlfriend had to leave Sunday, Dec. 28 - had another unexpected overnight as part of their return trip and a late departure on this trip too. Our Kitchener son and girlfriend returned Monday and my sister left Tuesday morning to drive back to Ottawa. Fortunately, she had good weather both trips. The rest of us packed up Tuesday also and went to Kitchener for New Year's so we were able to have a couple more days together. We were treated to a wonderful Asian dinner at a restaurant Tuesday evening, where David presented me with a beautiful necklace , to celebrate the successful end of my chemo. Then we had twelve people at my daughter's house New Year's Eve, enjoying an amazing Laotian/Thai dinner prepared by my son's lovely girlfriend and her sister.

New Year's Day was the wrap-up - we had breakfast together and then had to leave. The Texas crew drove back to Detroit to prepare for a 7:00 a.m. flight the next day - a baby and a toddler and all the attendant baggage; they made it, too ! David and I returned home later in the afternoon and called it a day.

So, all in all, it was a wonderful time, especially because we were all together for a couple of days, because I got in lots of grandma time that I wasn't expecting and because all of our children and my lovely daughter-in-law and their great girlfriends did so much to just make it happen. I thank you all for your time in airports, time in the kitchen, time doing odd jobs around the house, time just being here. It was the best gift of all.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm so glad that your grandson got to throw his first snowballs with you! Sounds like a busy, but very fulfilling break.

I'm glag things are moving right along, and everyone arrived and departed safely!