Sunday, January 4, 2009

Jan 2, 2009 - Last Chemo Trip!

We had just returned from Kitchener the day before but we made it up by 5:30 or so and were in Windsor in the lab just after 8:00 a.m. There was a line-up - something I hadn't seen before. We were processed about 8:30 and upstairs waiting to see the doctor before 9:00 a.m. I didn't see my own doctor as she was taking a holiday, but was able to have my check-up shortly after 9:00, got my meds from the pharmacy and was called in to the chemo suite by 10:00 a.m. (My blood pressure numbers were fine all day, so we are wondering if the device I was using at home was accurate.) It was looking pretty good for an early day until they tried to get my port open...three hours later, it cleared. It was frustrating, since this had happened two cycles back as well. There is a protein build-up inside the vein and it has to be cleared out before they will administer the chemo drugs. They certainly don't want them going into the wrong location inside of me. So, the end result was that I closed the place down at 6:00 p.m. and two nurses had to wait with me to finish the procedure. A long, frustrating day - but the last one ! I will still have to go to get the experimental drug chemo until Sept. but that's only 30 min. so even if I have this port problem again it won't take so long. We left Chatham at 7:00 a.m. to be in Windsor for 8:00 a.m. and we left Windsor at 7:00 p.m. (stopped for supper) to be home for 8:00 p.m. Long day.

I return to Windsor Monday afternoon to meet my radiologist and get set up for my treatments for that - marking the location, etc. I should also be getting my schedule, so I will know when this starts and time of day, etc. That will give shape to the next two months, as I will go daily to Windsor, Monday to Friday, for 6.5 weeks. The actual treatment time isn't long, apparently, but it has to be done daily. On Jan. 15, I also get my Avastin chemo but will switch to a three-week cycle for it then. A couple of days, I will have both chemo and radiation, I guess. Then there will also be some tests again - a heart video and possibly another CT scan. I am well monitored.

And, last but not least, my hair should start growing back about the third week in January - it's already kind of growing and looks like stubble, so I'm optimistic. I imagine by Easter I will have enough to stop using my wig, or possibly sooner.

Thanks again for your prayers and your ongoing support. I wish each of you a Happy/Blessed New Year for 2009 !

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Well,
the Chemo is finally over!
i wish i could rejoice with you on this fantastic accomplishment.
Congratulations Madame.

I'm also happy that your hair will be growing back, I'm sure thats also exciting for you.

i hope the radiation is a bit easier on your body.. i hope.

I hope great and blessed things for you in the new year, and I'm glad to see your holidays were good.

Happy new year!!

Amanda Deseure