Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Update - Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Another interesting week! We made it to London in good time last Wednesday - David drove - and had several eye examinations at the Ivey Institute on the south side of London. It was determined that surgery was needed and we were sent across town to St. Joseph's Hospital on the north side, where the ophthalmology surgery is done. After going through the regular admitting routines, we waited for a time slot and were fortunate to be called around 4:15 p.m. - could have been between 7 - midnight! The actual surgery took about 45 min. and by 5:45 I was back with David and we were being told we could go home. We were able to leave around 6:30 and had supper in London before driving home. What a day ! He had to sleep face down that night, because of the gas bubble in his eye holding the retina against the back of his eye. We were asked to return Thursday afternoon for a check-up, so I called Windsor and put my Avastin treatment over to Friday.

Good sleep for both of us that night and off to London again for the check-up. When the shield came off David's eye, it was a sight to behold - purple, swollen and the eyeball itself a blood red. Also, he could not see anything out of it, which was rather scary. However, it has improved daily and his vision is returning little by little. We return to London Tuesday March 24 for another check up and it will be interesting to see how much it has improved by then.

I drove myself to Windsor on Friday for my Avastin treatment, which went very well - a non-event. My blood pressure was exceptionally good, my port wasn't clogged - even had a nap while it was going in. If I had not been admitted to this clinical trial, I would have finished going to Windsor at the end of my radiation. As it is, I will see my oncologist every 3 weeks until Sept. and then every 3 months for 2 years and then every 6 months for the next 2 years, so I will be well supervised. Since this type of cancer has a high rate of return in the first three years, that is especially good. Once I pass that three-year point, I will be considered 'out of the woods'.

My sister is continuing to do well at the rehab and will probably be going home this coming Friday. That will be a month from the time of her fall. She is looking forward to getting out of the hospital but also realizing that this will present new challenges to her. She won't be driving for a while, so has to make arrangements with the ParaTranspo service and a few other things like that. I am planning to take the train to Ottawa next week and spend some time with her.

Yesterday, we were saddened by the news of the death of our youngest son's fiancée's mother. She had surgery Dec. 11 for removal of her gall bladder; at that time multiple tumours were discovered in her digestive system and it was not possible to remove all of them. We had hoped for a longer time for her, but it was not to be. We plan to attend the funeral this weekend.

So - we go from day to day. Robins have returned, daffodils are poking up, spring is on its way. Thank you again for your prayers and for your thoughtfulness in sending cards. A special thank you to a good neighbour who magically brings chili on nights when I haven't got the energy to cook. May all your kindnesses come back to you !

1 comment:

David Gast said...

Hi Helen and Dave

Great report!
Good to hear that you are driving yourself here and there, Helen. And Dave, we trust that your eye will fully restore to normality.
(Notice this comment has no spelling mistakes --check the last one!!!)