Tuesday, March 3, 2009

You Never Know....Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Greetings ! Yes, I finished my radiation treatments yesterday ! It seems rather unreal and will take a few days to sink in, I guess. I have an Avastin treatment on Thursday, so I won't be away from Windsor too long. However, after that, I think things will feel like they have changed, since I will only have to go back every 3 weeks now until September. I am tired, as I was advised I would be, and my radiation burn area is sore in a couple of spots, but that's all. I have cream to apply and I do! So it is now just a question of healing and recovering from all the treatments that I have had over the last 6 months.

Today brought a new health surprise for David. He had been noticing a dark spot in his right eye for several days, rather like an eclipse taking over part of his vision. It didn't hurt although it was tricky to read; still went to Toronto for his meeting on Friday and Saturday. (Our youngest son and his fiancée had come to drive me to Windsor.) Today we went to our optometrist and were told that he has a 25% detachment of the retina - quite a shock. He is scheduled for surgery at the Ivey Institute at Victoria Hospital in London tomorrow. We have to be there for 8:00 a.m. so it will be an early start ! As far as we know, he will be coming home the same day. We would appreciate your prayers for this situation.

My sister is still in hospital in Ottawa after her fall. She had surgery last Friday to correct her shoulder position and her wrist, since the doctors were not pleased with the way they were healing. This was unexpected and painful. Yesterday, she was moved to a rehab. unit at another hospital where she will be for 5 - 7 days while she is helped to learn techniques for dressing, showering and getting up out of a normal (flat) bed. Her left arm is in a sling to support her shoulder and her wrist is in a partial cast, so she has little use from it.

So there you have it. You never know what a day will bring ! Thanks again for your prayers.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Well, prayers for three it is!

May god bless not only you and your journey of safe and active living, but bless the hearts of your husband and your sister. If anything like yourself, they deserve the encouragement!

Have a great, happy, and SAFE week.

your sincerely
Amanda Deseure

David Gast said...

Congratulations on finishing your radiation. We continue to pray for your complete recovery.
Hope Daveis OK. If I had read this on the 3rd, we kight have been able to connect for a few minutes down at Vic. We will also keep your sis in our pryaers too.
your LCBM friends!
Dave and Sharon