Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update - Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Coming down to the wire, friends ! Today will be my last 'main' radiation treatment; then 4 ''booster' treatments on a smaller area (same location). I'll be done radiation completely next Monday, March 2. There will be a follow-up appointment with my radiation doctor and then that will be it. This Thursday, I also go to a lymphodema clinic to learn about future care of the arm on the surgery side - left, in my case. Because of the number of lymph nodes that were removed, I can never use that arm for blood pressure readings or blood sampling again - nothing that will restrict fluid flow. Plus, there are some other restrictions and care, all to avoid swelling in that arm. Something new to learn every day !

I have come through the radiation treatments quite well - I have a burn area 8" x 6" on my chest wall - surgery site - but no blistering or cracking, as was mentioned in the initial warnings. I have hydrocortisone cream to apply twice daily and that keeps me comfortable. The burn is red, like a sunburn, but doesn't have that burning sensation, fortunately - just a tightness in certain spots. It will recover and heal, of course. And - I now have eyebrow 'stubble', where my eyebrows are starting to regrow! Eyelashes are showing up, too, and my 'halo' continues to show up in the light more and more. I've learned this winter that you really do lose a lot of body heat from your head!

My dear sister is still in hospital in Ottawa, recovering from her dreadful fall. She will move to a short-term rehabilitation centre at another hospital later this week, since she would not be able to manage at home yet. Most of her injuries are on the left side - broken wrist, dislocated shoulder, possible concussion, six broken ribs, a cut from left eyebrow to hairline, another cut below her left ear on her throat from the mug, needing 13 stitches, plus lots of bruising -and she will need time before she can do stairs and lots of other things. Please remember her in your prayers.

Thank you again for your prayers for me during this time of illness. There's a big light at the end of the tunnel ! I'll still be getting the trial drug, Avastin, every three weeks until the end of September, but after March 2, my life should be more or less back to normal.

May God's presence be known to you this week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Helen, I am so excited that your treatments are almost over. My prayers include you so vry often. You are a precious friend and I long to see you completely well.

It would be wonderful to see the two of you.

We are well except for Tom's miserable cold. But he will recover.

Love you loads,
Sharon

Amanda said...

Its coming to an end!
Congratulations Madame!

And you look just as beautiful no matter what, the hair and eye lashes will come with time!
It doesnt make you any less of a person.

Bless your heart,
Amanda Deseure