Sunday, February 1, 2009

Update - February 1, 2009

This is the longest I have gone without updating the blog - 2 weeks today! That will perhaps give you some idea of my fatigue level. However, I'll bring you up to date today.

First of all, I was able to have my Avastin treatment Jan. 22, so I am now on track to have this every 3 weeks until September...unless my blood pressure numbers get too high again, I guess. Everything went as it was supposed to and there was no problem with my port, as I have had before. Takes about 45 min. to 1 hr.

Secondly, I have now had 9 radiation treatments in the last 2 weeks (the first day was a check film to make sure all alignments were correct.) There doesn't seem to be a lot to them - I just lie there on the guerney while the machine moves around me; I get 4 'shots' - front and back for lymph glands above my collar bone and also for my chest wall. The only way I know that anything is happening is the noise from the machine when it's radiating me - sounds like a little bagpipe drone. No pain, no heat - no sensation at all. It takes about 15 min. for the whole treatment but there's only about 1 min. 30 seconds combined of radiation. The rest is positioning, aligning and so on. Add to that 70 min. driving each way, plus a stop usually for lunch. Doesn't sound too bad but as the week goes along, I find myself getting more and more tired. I usually have to lie down for a while when we get home and am heading for bed around 9:00 p.m. most nights. My skin is fine so far - no sign of reddening anywhere from the radiation. I use lotion on the area most nights and so far, so good. Compared to the chemo treatments, there doesn't seem to be much actually happening to my body but the fatigue I am experiencing tells me otherwise.

So - 2 weeks done, 4 weeks plus a day to go. David drives me faithfully almost every day. He had to be in Toronto this past week and my sister was able to drive me Thursday and Friday. It was good to have some time with her. The weather has been co-operative for the most part; this past Wed. was not good but David has lots of experience in bad weather and we were fine. It continues to snow and we have had the laneway ploughed out another 3 times - brings us up to a total of 8.

Thank you again for your ongoing prayers as well as your cards. I appreciate them so much.

Here's the verse that was in my little devotional book last Wed. - "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction." Mark 5:34. I found it very comforting.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hello Mme. Goldsmith!
Keep resting and taking things slow!
I've been reading every blog update so far.
May god be with you
Amanda Deseure