Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Update February 24, 2010

Well, I got the results yesterday from the CT scan Feb. 12 and it wasn't good news - it shows 'a progression of the disease' . My oncologist intends to change me over to a different type of chemo when I see her again March 8 or 9. It was a shock to hear that, since I have felt so well - apart from the terrible chest cold that David and I have both been fighting since Valentine's. (I am on an antibiotic, too, because I also had chemo Feb. 16).

David and I have decided that I will try to get a screening appointment in Dallas to see if I can be admitted to the Phase 2 trial there that we were able to investigate in December. I don't know what will come of it but I think it is an opportunity that came to me, unlooked for, and that I should follow up on.

Hard to know what to do...pretty scary as well. It just does not seem possible that I could be dealing with this when my life seems so normal. You would never know to see me that I have anything like this going on inside of me. No symptoms, no pain, no shortness of breath, etc. I can do pretty well anything that I want to do - drive, get groceries, cook meals, read, knit, etc. If it wasn't for this cold, I would be 'in good health', to all appearances.

Harder today to say " Thy will be done", "It's in God's hands", "God will care for me" but these are all still true.

Thank you again for your prayers and support.

3 comments:

GDAC Bible Studies said...

We continue to remember you in our prayers both as a class and as your friend.

Gail said...

Hi Helen:
It is hard to believe this. You looked so good when I saw you at the Cultural Centre this week. I hope with different treatment or the Dallas study things will turn around. We continue to pray for you and David.

I heard this morning on the radio that David is turning 65 today. Happy Birthday!
Gail

Daniel Keith Goldsmith said...

Aunt Helen, you continue to be in my prayers and thoughts. I pray that God will continue to strengthen you in this time. All my love to you and Uncle Dave.

Dan Jr.