Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Update - March 10, 2010

Once again, a lot has happened since the last time I wrote.

First of all, we had a wonderful weekend celebrating birthdays and just being together as a family. We were expecting three out of the four kids but were VERY pleasantly surprised when #4, "the Big Guy", stepped out of the car Saturday afternoon as well. So, we were able to celebrate 3 out of the 6 family birthdays and just really enjoyed our time together. It was a real gift to be all together again so soon after Christmas and probably won't happen again until Pete and Jocelyn's wedding in Seattle in August.

On Monday, five of us set out for my oncologist appointment in Windsor. As you know, I was praying so much for a clear direction as a result of that meeting and many of you were praying that for us as well - thank you again. That is what we got. My oncologist strongly recommended that I take the option open to me in Dallas and we could all see that it was the best choice for me at this point. We also received the radiologist report on my CT scan of Feb. 12 which shows that the cancer is progressing in spite of the carboplatinum treatments - not good news. Some of the nodules are stable, but some are growing - in millimetres, but growing. What I am looking for now and praying for is a drug that will stop the growth and possibly even shrink these nodules and tumours that are there. Hopefully, that is what I will find in Dallas. I keep reminding myself that this was an option that came to me unlooked for and I am trusting that it is God's plan for me.

David and I and our youngest son will leave for Dallas Monday, March 15. I should have the first treatment of either the experimental drug or the control drug on Tuesday, a second check-up on Wednesday and then fly back home Thursday. Once I start, I will be going there every three weeks. I still have to have this confirmed, so it is possible that there will be some changes to this schedule.

David also has some medical issues happening - he has been troubled by dizziness when he stands and begins to walk to the point where he has fallen several times. He will be having some tests done for this as well - we are both falling apart !!!

That is about all for now - will keep you updated as things develop. I am looking forward to the opportunities in Dallas and praying that there will be good results from whatever I am treated with there. Please pray that I - and the rest of the family - will be able to trust God in this and stay in the peace of that confidence instead of distressing ourselves with the 'what ifs' and bad possibilities.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Dear Helen,
So happy to hear that you had a great weekend with your children. We continue to think positive and keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Save journey to Texas.
Love & Prayers
Martha and Jack

Mary Lynn said...

Helen,
Thank you for continuing to post updates on your blogspot. I check it often. My prayers are with you as you travel to Dallas this week.
Love and hugs to you and your family,
Mary Lynn