Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Update - March 30, 2010

Welcome to my life on the couch !

It's been 2 weeks now since I had my first chemo treatment with the experimental drug in Dallas and it has affected me more than any other chemo that I have had. I think I must have been getting off easy before.

It's all there in the list of possible side effects that I was given - fatigue, reduced white and red blood cell counts, loss of appetite - but I just haven't had such a long reaction before. It's usually been a week and then I was more or less back to normal. I'm still up and dressed, etc. and doing normal household activities - laundry, cooking, groceries - but I just have to rest for 30 - 45 min. between jobs and that's frustrating...leaves me with a lot of 'bedhead' ! However, it could be worse, a lot worse, and I am trying to keep perspective. I was also quite weepy there for a while but that seems to be passing, too.

David continues to be better as the result of that exercise for his inner ear balance but he does have to keep doing it on a regular basis to keep 'level-headed'!! (Couldn't resist.)

We are looking forward to family visits this Easter weekend, including my sister from Ottawa who will accompany me to Dallas the following week for Cycle 2. Amy has to go to Dallas also for a working trip, so I will have lots of company.

I am also looking forward to Easter as a reminder again of God's amazing, incomprehensible love for mankind and of His desire to bring this love to the lives of ordinary people like you and me. It is the story of Easter that gives me hope in this battle and confidence that however it turns out, it will be God's plan and that I will be OK. Like all gifts, God's love must be received and accepted to be part of your life or it just sits there on the shelf in its wrapping paper.

Thank you again for your prayers. Choose joy!!

No comments: