Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Update - May 12, 2010

Can't believe the change in the weather ! What happened to our lovely spring days ? There are some new plants in Lian's garden that will probably have to be re-planted when she gets back here next week - we had a big frost Sunday night. The asparagus farms in the area lost most of their crop - will have to wait for new growth before they can harvest again.

Radiation finished without any problems - just tiring to be on the road every day. The appointment time is never the same, so you have to plan every day differently.

Monday, we saw my oncologist again, after getting a chest x-ray in the morning. She was happy to tell me that it showed no appreciable change - no growth of the tumour ("That's GOOD news") Other good news was that I had put back on 6.5 lbs. since April 27, when she saw me last. My next chemo starts May 17 - two weekly doses and the third week off; after 6 doses, another CT scan. I will be able to get this in Chatham, another piece of good news. So it was a fairly positive visit and we were encouraged. I continue to follow the nutritional advice of the nutritional oncologist I met in Austin in December and it seems to be helping as well. I have lists of things (drinks, supplements, etc.) to take every day and it keeps me hopping to remember them all.

On Friday, we were very pleasantly surprised to find that the whole Texas crew had come to Chatham, not just Steve. It was great to have the kids in the house again for a while, although the cold weather was a surprise for them and cut down on the amount of time to play outside. Pete and Jocelyn arrived as planned, so from Saturday morning until Sunday afternoon the whole crew was here. Pete left on his way to Brazil again; plans to be there for another two weeks, I think.

Based on my oncologist's comments in April, both weddings are being moved to June. The Kitchener one involves getting new dates for the same venues but the Seattle one will be moved to Michigan or something like that - total uprooting of all plans. Pete's travel to Brazil does not help this situation, as well as the time difference between Brazil and Seattle - 4 hours. Jocelyn is still working as a Gr. 7 English teacher, so there are marking and report cards to be taken care of as well. I appreciate so much that they are willing to do this but I feel so bad that all these great plans are going out the window.

Thanks again for the wonderful cards and words of encouragement that keep appearing in my mailbox - there is usually at least one every day. They are so good at lifting my spirits when I am having a 'down day' or they are just comforting, knowing that someone is thinking of me and praying for me. I appreciate them so much.

May God bless you today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Helen

Thank you for posting on your blog; it helps to feel closer than we are out here in Seattle and down in Brazil.

Please don't feel bad about the wedding plans at all, we are coming up with a beautiful new wedding in Michigan. By tomorrow I should actually have some details nailed down, I will keep you posted!

You are in our thoughts many times every day. It was great to see you last weekend and we can't wait to get back out very soon.

Lots of Hugs
Jocelyn