Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Update - May 18, 2010

Good morning, one and all - had my first chemo in Chatham yesterday and am happy to tell you that it all went very well, if slowly. It was supposed to be a 15 min. dose, which actually took 6 min., once we got to that part. However, since it was my first time in that unit, there was a lot of introductory stuff that had to be done.

I was informed of all the side effects possible for this type of chemo and cautioned about a variety of things. I met my new supervising doctor and a new community health nurse. I came home with lots of new paper to read and a 'fever card' to use if I have to go to Emerg. with a fever over 38.5, which will help me 'jump the queue'.

I noticed on the orders for my chemo that my weight was wrong - off by about 10 kg. - and when I pointed that out, it lead to a check with my oncologist in Windsor and a new order, dispensing the chemo all over again - had to wait for that, too. You always get a saline flush of the veins before you get the chemo - takes 10 - 15 min., depending on how fast it's running, and a little rinse-out when you are done - just a minute or two.

All in all, we were there from 8:30 - 11:00 but they tell me it won't be so long next week. It's the usual start-up stuff. I felt fine all day yesterday and slept well last night; up at 7:00 as usual and have had breakfast and am doing my laundry as I write. So - pretty good, I'd say. I just hope and PRAY that the cancer responds to this chemo and that it has some effect on it, unlike the other two earlier this year.

I am really thankful for the peace of mind that I experience the majority of the time. Many of you are praying for that for me, and I thank you. It has been a lot scarier since February, when I found out that the first chemo wasn't working and I have had to make a much stronger effort to say "God is in charge and has my best interests at heart; He knows what He is doing." I am still doing everything I can to keep my body strong and to fight this thing but I am also very aware that whatever happens with the medications, etc. will be under His control. "He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in Him, whose thoughts turn often to the Lord. Trust in the Lord God always, for in the Lord Jehovah is your everlasting strength." Isaiah 26:3,4 So that's what I try to do and am able to, most of the time.

More rain here again last night - we are pretty well soaked. It will be nice to get some warm, sunny days again.

Wedding plans are coming along - the one being moved from Seattle to Detroit will be much simplified from the original but will still be nice. Planning is taking place in Seattle, Brazil and Chicago, thanks to Skype. The Kitchener one is also experiencing some changes but will be more like the original plans. Steve is looking for a portable condenser for me that is strong enough; I won't need so many pressurized tanks when I am out of the house.

Thanks again for your prayers. May you too experience the peace of God today by trusting in His care for you.

No comments: