Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Update - April 14, 2010

Well, things didn't quite work out as expected in Dallas.

We did go out for supper together Tuesday evening, but I have been finding that my appetite really drops off in the evening and I wasn't able to eat much of my supper. (I have lost approximately 30 pounds since Feb. 2009.) Apart from that, we had a good time. There's also the issue of what to order, because in Texas things are spiced up more than they are here and a lot of it is too spicy for me now.

I got the second treatment of the drug on Wednesday and they tried some different anti-nausea meds, so there was a bit if a change. I was sick more and had more diarrhea but it wasn't as violent as the first round. Back to the hotel and a quiet night ! It was also decided that I needed the shot I was getting the first time I had chemo, to bring my white blood cell count back up. Tests had shown that it had dropped to 500 instead of a normal 1500 with the first treatment of the Dallas medicine. That meant I had to get back to Chatham Friday - and that I also needed a chest x-ray - so plans were made Wed. evening to fly back Thursday instead of Friday. However, it became clear on Thursday that I wasn't going anywhere except back to bed, so we returned to the original Friday schedule. Back in Chatham, David was making arrangements to drive to Windsor on Friday, pick up the Neulasta and have it here at the house when I did get home Friday evening. An RN in the family was kind enough to come over Friday night and 'shoot' me, so I did get the med. Friday after all. (Chest x-ray had to wait until today, when I also had to get bloodwork done in Windsor.) The family is rallying around us, too - Mike's fiancée, Lian, came to spend the week in Chatham with David while we were away and Amy, Steve, Kristen (and kids) and my sister Carol were all with me in Dallas.

I was hoping that the Neulasta would work its magic pretty quickly but I have been down again all of this week I just have very little energy, (the reason I have not done this blog until now) have trouble breathing and can only sleep on one side - although I seem to manage OK most nights. There's a reduction in the usual household chores that I can do, too - we are all seeing quite an effect from this chemo - more than we have seen with any other. I can only hope that it means that it is also having a similar effect on the cancer and wiping it out, too.

So that's where I am now - thank you so much for your prayers. Almost every day I met someone who says, "I pray for you every day" It's both humbling and encouraging - when I get down, it's a comforting thing to remember. A friend at church gave me a little devotional book written by a minister who contracted ALS, or Lou Gehring's disease. I have been finding it very helpful, as it addresses issues that I also deal with. The thought this morning was "You have to surrender yourself and your future to God." The idea is that you can't influence much of what is or is not going to happen to you and to spend time worrying about it and fearing it is a waste. He will provide as necessary - but often at the last minute ! Anyhow - I'm working on that - has to happen several times a day, sometimes, but it does bring a certain peace.

I hope you are enjoying this beautiful spring, as it unfolds so wondefully around us. It speaks to me of God's reliability and His love of beautiful things - and of extravagance !

1 comment:

Jan and Gunther said...

You are in our prayers, as always. We have been able to share your thoughts with our group at church lately as our discussions have been centred on "Thy will be done" and you have given everyone your encouraging perspective. We miss you, Jan and Gunther