Monday, April 19, 2010

Update - April 19, 2010

Some interesting developments since I last wrote !

David thought that I might benefit from oxygen assistance and made arrangements for a respiratory company to come and give me an assessment last Thursday, with the result that I am now attached by a 50' hose to something called a 'portable oxygen concentrator'. It was making a tremendous improvement within 24 hours - I could eat more, breathe better, had better colour, and felt more 'normal'. This is not compressed oxygen, although I have a tank for that, too - only lasts 3 hours - but a compressor which condenses the oxygen in the house air and adds it to what I am already breathing at the rate of 2L per minute. Amazing again how much difference it has made! I am very appreciative and thankful that David not only thought of it but went ahead and did it. I was kind of getting to where I thought it might be a good idea but would have had a hard time making the phone call - more 'invalid' stuff. So you can picture me now with one of those little clear hose things hooked over my ears and two little prongs in my nose - and a big smile, because I feel so much better with it!

Double-edged, though - can't take this equipment through an airport or on a plane, so will now have to find some source in Dallas to rent it, because I can't manage a week without it. We'll be on the way there again a week from today and I'm wondering how I'll make it through the plane trip...just not talk for 5 hours, I guess...I didn't realize how gaspy I had gotten until I got on the O2. It's very obvious when I have to be off it. So - something good to report !

I was able, with the help of Mike and Lian (youngest son and fiancée), to attend a memorial service in London on Saturday for a dear professor of many years ago. There were many friends there that I hadn't seen for some time and they were a real blessing to me and an encouragement, even though I couldn't stay to visit for long afterwards - had to get to the car for my O2.

I am encouraged daily. We went for supper last Thursday to Swiss Chalet and ran into friends who used to live here but who moved away years ago. They were in town just for the day to visit some other people that they knew. The wife of the couple has been a spiritual mentor to me for about 40 years, so it was a very special 'accident'. We had a great time but the best part was that she asked if she could anoint me with oil before we separated, as a sign that we were mutually turning this health issue over to God. I was happy to agree - and even more so when I found that her oil was actually spikenard from Israel. God continues to bring experiences and people to me that remind me that He is involved in this and not to be afraid.

Thank you again for your prayers - there are so many of you who are so kind to remember me and I appreciate it so much.

No comments: