Sunday, April 25, 2010

Update - April 25, 2010

Good morning -

We received word yesterday afternoon, based on the CT scan I had last Wed., that the trial drug is having no appreciable effect on my cancer and the recommendation was that I not come to Dallas this coming week or proceed with that treatment path. Instead, I will be seeing my oncologist in Windsor for the next steps. I was more relieved than anything else because I was very concerned about this upcoming trip and how I was going to be able to get through it. I have lain awake at night trying to figure out how many of these treatments I could manage - 2 more? 4 more? It has been difficult and I am not really sorry that it is done. I thought it might be some miraculous controller against this thing, but apparently not. So now I will go on a 'standard of care' drug for while, I think. I am still on waiting lists in Dallas for upcoming trials but I need something else fairly quickly - it's been 5 months without anything being effective.

While it was not welcome news, I find that I am OK with it and am looking forward to talking with my oncologist on Tuesday. Amy is here and has cancelled her trip to Dallas to be with us this week. She will be with us on Tuesday and Steve may come up as well. Mike and Lian plan to be here next week and if Pete wasn't on his way home from Brazil next Tuesday, he'd probably show up too. I tell you, it makes for a full examination room when we see the doctor ! If you live in Blackberryland, you can record conversations (with permission) on your phone and then send them to other family members who couldn't be there. I imagine that will be happening Tuesday as well.

So - I'll be here next week after all. May God be with you today.

No comments: