Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hair Today - Gone Tomorrow !!

Well, yesterday I reached the 'no hair' part of the journey. I had been shedding like a dog in the spring since about Saturday - every comb-through resulted in a handful of loose hair. I was getting very patchy - looked like a little old lady with the skull showing through what was left. So I called my dear hairdresser who has looked after me for 11 years now and went to finish the job. She buzzed what was left off, pretty much, and I am now ' down to the wood'. Quite different in appearance but feels much better - and cooler. I was pleased to discover that I have a nice-shaped head and that my ears don't stick out !! Who knew ??

It wasn't as bad as I had been thinking it would be. It's just quite a change for everyone else - I don't have to look at myself unless I'm passing a mirror but everyone else gets the full benefit.

I have also been discovering just how much heat leaves your body through your head - you hear these things but then you get to experience them. I tried wearing a little knit cap at home after I got back but I had to take it off because I was just melting. So I think around the house I will just be 'au naturel'. Don't be surprised if you drop in for a visit !

I also took my nice, new wig to my hairdresser and she styled it to look a lot like my own hair so I have another good option - plus the hats and scarves that I have bought. Until the weather turns colder, though, I'm not sure how much I'll need them.

So - that's the latest ! Regular blood check-up today - second week of cycle is starting - my voice is coming back and I am starting to sound like myself again - it should be back by tomorrow - starting to get used to the pattern of all of this.

Thank you again for your prayers, which are what keeps me going.

3 comments:

Pastor Gord said...

Hi Helen,
Welcome to the world of 'blogging'!Just sending you our prayers for restored health (and hair!) as you continue with treatment. I hope David is feeling better too. I'll be in touch, and try and get out to see you next week.
Gord

Evelien said...

Hi Helen,
So good to hear you are doing well considering the circumstances of your life. I consider the loss of hair a badge of honour for the courageous battle you're fighting against cancer. You are in my prayers and thoughts each day.
Evelien

Gail said...

Hi Helen,
I just found your blog and wanted to let you know that you are an inspiration to everyone who reads it. You are in our prayers and thoughts every day.
Gail