Friday, November 7, 2008

Cycle # 4 starts - Nov. 7, 2008

Well, yesterday turned out just fine, after all my fussing. I called Windsor and got permission to get an extra blood test done here in Chatham on Wednesday, hoping to avoid a trip on Thursday just to find out that my white blood cells were too low for a treatment. I called Windsor Wednesday afternoon to see how things had turned out - "A nurse will call you." No call came in Wednesday, and fortunately my appointment on Thursday was at 12:30, not the usual 8:00 a.m. So I called again at 8:30 Thursday - same message. We were planning to leave by 10:00 to do some other errands on the way, and when I hadn't heard anything by 9:30, I called the pharmacy and requested my usual meds for a treament day and decided I was going, regardless! Nobody had told me not to ! Also ran around getting things cleared and cleaned for my cleaning lady, who was coming that morning...which is why I missed the little blinking light on the answering machine.

We drove to Windsor and I followed ordinary procedure - start at the lab and have more blood drawn - getting pretty good at that by now! Then upstairs for the doctor's appointment and approval for chemo. Had to wait for the lab results, which were great ! My white blood counts were right back up to normal range ! Apparently, that Neulasta shot that I am also on works more in the second week than the first and was responsible for my rebound. Live and learn. So, after that it was just normal procedure all the way. I had a very interesting chat with the nurse who was delivering my first type of chemo - it has to be injected into the port line from 3 big syringes and takes 30 - 45 min. She had just returned from her 5th Ironman competition - 2.5 mi. swim, bike ride equal to Windsor - London and then a full 26 mi. marathon run. She has children in university, so I'd say she was in her 40's. I was IMPRESSED! Life is full of interesting people.

We left Windsor about 5:30 and drove home. I took David out for supper to thank him for all his faithful driving and support for me. He's been there for me for all of this - I haven't had to do any of it alone. Doctor's visits, surgery, driving back and forth to Windsor, listening to me fuss and fret, reminding me of various doctor comments, waiting patiently out in the waiting room for hours while I have treatments, so many things. One dinner certainly doesn't cover it all, but it also meant neither of us had to cook ! We ended the day thankful for all that had turned out well.

When we got back to the house, I checked for phone messages...and got a message that had come in at 9:31 in the morning (while I was renewing my meds) telling me that everything was fine and that I should come in for my treatment !

Rain was forecast for today but I am sitting here looking out the window at blue sky and white clouds, so I don't know...still a few things to do outside. We are also embarked on the project of clearing out the garage enough to get in one car for the winter...not bad for a 2-car garage ! We are getting close and have thrown out a lot of junk, which will please our children, but there is more to do there, too, plus a lasagna to make today. So - will see what I can accomplish today while those steroids are doing their thing.

Hope your day goes well and that you are blessed in some way today.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Hi Helen: Glad to hear that you were able to continue on schedule with your treatments. Hope it continues for you as I know you want to have you good days at Christmas with the family.
Gail

Evelien said...

Hi Helen,
We prayed for you at Bible Study on Wednesday, so was really happy to read you were able to have your treatment. You are continually in my prayers - may our God give you all you need in the coming weeks.
Evelien