Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Update - Nov.19, 2008

I've had a wonderful second week of this cycle - have felt like a normal, healthy person and have lived my life like that. Thanks be to God !

Friday: Went out for lunch as planned (terrific time), came home for my nap and then got supper ready for the incoming - son from Texas, daughter form Kitchener, husband from Toronto (homemade lasagna, a family tradition ).

Saturday: Shopping with son and daughter in the afternoon, second son and girlfriend arrive in snowstorm - it's only November ! - with new TV for us; joint present to get us into the 21st C. Later, we all go out for supper and have a great meal and a good visit. We're all about good food!

Sunday: Late breakfast because everyone is leaving later; attend CKSS high school gym rededication to honour a retiring teacher and all kids have a good visit with former teachers they haven't seen for 10 years or more. It was so good to have our kids home for the weekend; their energy and love fill the house. I appreciate their care and just their presence - they've become pretty interesting people and they're just fun to have around. They all went home in a snowstorm again but arrived safely at their home ports.

Monday: General housework - still working on that garage ! Also get out for lunch - again - this time with my dear husband!

Tuesday: Snow and cold weather have finally killed off the last of the flowers in the beds closest to the house; I can now rip out all the remnants without feeling like I have been personally responsible for their end. And - I get invited out for lunch with my husband again ! I'm on a roll !

Wednesday: Over to our GP's office before 9:00 for a flu shot and general errands after that - including breakfast out - just to make a change. By suppertime, there is a car parked in the garage !! Success at last!! Thanks to those who offered to help but it was too grungy and fiddly - had to do it on our own.

Tomorrow/Thursday: Start the second kind of chemo - have to be IN WINDSOR for 8:00 a.m. Because it is the first delivery of this kind, it will be 6 hours, followed by 30 min. of the clinical trial drug. I usually don't get started the chemo part of the day until about 10:30 - 11:00, so it's going to be a long day. However, it will get shortened each time I have it after tomorrow, if it follows the previous patterns. I have learned how to live with the first kind of chemo; not sure what will change now with the second. Time will tell.

So, you see, I had a great week. I feel normal, I look normal (except for the hair - and if I'm wearing my wig, you might not even notice that) and I can live my normal life. (I was going to say I act normal, but that would leave me open to many spurious comments, so I will leave that out!) I need to rest in the afternoon for about an hour but that's it. I am so thankful; I feel so blessed. I think it is largely the result of all the prayers that are constantly being offered up for me and I thank each of you who are taking the time to do that. This may all change tomorrow with the new chemo, but I will know that recovery and return are possible and that will help me deal with whatever tomorrow brings.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Hi Helen:
So glad to hear your week was good and you had a wonderful time with the kids. Hope all went well yesterday and you continue to feel good.
Gail